The Indianapolis Colts have to signed PK Adam Vinatieri to a one-year deal for his 13th season with the Colts and 23rd in the NFL. Vinatieri is 58 points short of surpassing Morton Andersen as the NFL’s all-time leading scorer. Vinatieri has scored at least 58 points in every year that he has played except for 2009 when he played just six games due to a nagging hip injury that required surgery. Nicknamed “Automatic Adam” and “The Iceman”, Vinatieri needs just seven field goals to break Andersen’s NFL record for field goals of 565.
Vinatieri’s one-year deal is worth $3.625, $1 million to sign and a base salary of $2.625 million dollars. Vinatieri has made 111 of 123 kicks over the past four years and he turns 46 during the 2018 season. You could argue that Vinatieri is the GOAT kicker, and with just three true kickers (Jan Stenerud, Ray Guy, and Andersen) currently in the Hall of Fame, you would figure that Vinatieri would be a first ballot slam dunk when his time comes.
Among Vinatieri’s awards and NFL records include
– 4X Super Bowl Champion
– 6X AFC Champion
– 2X All Pro Team
– NFL 2000 all-decade team PK
– Top rated kicker on the NFL Top 100 list
– Most seasons with 100 points (19)
– Most postseason field goals in a career (56)
– Most postseason points in a career (227)
– Most field goals in a single post season (14)
– Most field goals in Super Bowls (7)
– Most extra points in Super Bowls (13)
– Most field goals in overtime (14)
– Most consecutive field goals in NFL history (44)